Saturday, March 18, 2006

Being Recognized

It's extraordinarily RARE for me to be recognized as a writer by people, but that's exactly what happened to me last night.

I went into Walgreen's to pick up some prescriptions, and at the pharmacy counter, a young-looking black female asked if I needed help.

I told her, "I'm here to pick up a prescription for Bacon, B-A-C-O-N."

She went to the computer, a smile on her face. "What's your first name?" she asked, steadily smiling.

"Shonell," I said, "S-H..."

"Do you write books?" she interrupted.

I rose an eyebrow and answered, "Um, yeah."

"Oh my God," she said, clapping her hands. "My daughter recognized your name (note: don't ask me HOW the daughter saw my prescription info), and she was like Ma, her books are so good."

I smiled, said thank you.

When she gave me my prescription, she said, "I'm definitely going to check you out."

I left out Walgreen's chuckling to myself and slightly happy. It's been a few years since I've had a book out, and it was nice to have someone still recognize me...:-)

No comments: