Sunday, August 19, 2012

5-Latte Review of Liz DeJesus' FIRST FROST

[Available in print at BN and Amazon]

For generations, the Frost family has run the Museum of Magical and Rare Artifacts, handing down guardianship from mother to daughter, always keeping their secrets to “family only.”

Gathered within museum’s walls is a collection dedicated to the Grimm fairy tales and to the rare items the family has acquired: Cinderella’s glass slipper, Snow White’s poisoned apple, the evil queen’s magic mirror, Sleeping Beauty’s enchanted spinning wheel…

Seventeen-year-old Bianca Frost wants none of it, dreaming instead of a career in art or photography or…well, anything except working in the family’s museum. She knows the items in the glass display cases are fakes because, of course, magic doesn’t really exist.

She’s about to find out how wrong she is.


5 out of 5 lattes



I've been a fan of Liz DeJesus and her mystical, fantastical tales for years, and she has only improved her game and skills with First Frost. I thoroughly enjoyed the novel: the characters, the situation, the tension, everything. DeJesus gives us a wonderfully complex and cool character in Bianca, and her development of First Frost's other major players and the fantasy world that Bianca journeys through kept me locked into the story. As I read, I could easily see this story as something to be seen on the big screen. DeJesus' imagination always keeps me on my toes, giving me something unique and interesting to read. I look forward to seeing what she does next in this adventure.

No comments: