Monday, February 07, 2011

Chronicling the Google Wave Writing Journey: Author Nichole Wiggins

The summer of 2010, six women decided to join together and accomplish the goal. The goal was for each women to write an 80k novel between June 25, 2010 and November 25, 2010. The group used Google Wave as their major communication tool, using it to make updates, share excerpts of WIPs, hold monthly whine fests, get advice, and receive encouragement and inspiration through the journey. Life got in the way--a lot, but ultimately, each woman learned a few things while riding out this journey...





GWave Writing Journey Member
Author Nichole Wiggins



Nichole Wiggins is novelist who was bitten by the writing bug at a young age and totally fell in love with the written word. She's the author of one novel (under a pseudonym), and when she’s not working her day job, you can find her in a cozy corner, white mocha latte in hand, and lappy on lap as she works on her next manuscript.



The GWave Writing Journey


What is writing to you?
Wow. What is writing to me? Well some may call me crazy, but writing is like breathing to me. It’s something that is very important to me and something I must do every day in order to keep my sanity.


Why did you agree to be a part of the GWave Writing Journey?
What’s so funny is that my sistergirl (you, i.e. Shonell, LOL) was on Facebook talking about the writing journey, and I kind of sort of invited myself to be a part of the journey, and I’m so happy you all allowed me to join.


How did friendship and sisterhood help/hinder your writing during the journey?
The sisterhood formed throughout this journey is indescribable. Here you have a group of women who all feel the same about writing, so of course it was a very positive experience. We got to gripe and complain, all the while uplifting and encouraging each other when we had weak moments in the journey.


How did the use of GWave help facilitate conversation amongst the group during the journey?
I loved the way GWave helped facilitate conversation because we were able to check in with each other on the regular while sharing our work.


What were some of the successes and or pitfalls that occurred for you during the writing journey?
Some of my successes were that I really started learning about the CRAFT of writing. See I have this issue of waiting too long into the story about how to introduce my hero and heroine. Being on GWave I was able to pick a couple of the ladies' brains and they helped me through it. Some of my pitfalls were on days when I didn’t have time to write, it really put me behind because I got preoccupied with other things.


What did you learn about yourself through the writing journey? As person and as writer?
What I learned was that my writing has improved tremendously over the course of seven years. I’m not the same writer I used to be, I’m learning daily, and I love it!


Well, supposedly, you wrote during this journey...what do you plan to do with what you've written?
What I plan on doing with Perfect Proposition is publish it before the end of 2011.



Excerpt from GWave Writing


From Perfect Proposition

Chapter Seven


Mia exhaled an orgasmic moan, savoring the rich flavor of hazelnut and whipped cream as the delicious sexy coffee tickled her palette. Toes curling, Mia gripped the edge of the table, swallowing the tepid latte as it flowed down her throat, warming her insides. Peeking out the side of a lowered lid, Mia smiled relieved that no one was in earshot to witness her moment. She just couldn’t help it, her girl Stacia Robinson owner of the Latte Lounge a trendy hip eclectic coffee shop, put her foot in the designer lattes that always seemed to keep people in the neighborhood begging for more. On some days depending on the featured latte and spiced bread it would be standing room only.

“I see someone’s enjoying Hazelnut’s Kiss a little too much.” A throaty female voice joshed. A blush rose in Mia’s cheeks when she spotted Stacia, sisterlocks flowing down her back all smiles.

“Stacia, oh my God,” Mia felt herself growing excited, “I think I have a new favorite latte.” Mia raised her oversized mug of Hazelnut’s Kiss toasting her good friend of two years.

“And just think,” Stacia wiped her hands down her skinny jeans her silver bangle bracelets jingling, “you were so adamant about sticking with your normal Vanilla Bean Dream.” Stacia stuck her tongue out.

“I know. I know.” Mia shook her fist in a mock tirade, “It’s just if I stick to what I know, then there’s no room for disappointment.” Mia admitted making sure she placed her drink away from her MacBook.

“Girl,” Stacia flicked her dreads over her delicate shoulders, “stop being so boring, trying something new never hurt anyone. It’s time you step outside the box. Live a little. I did.” Stacia replied referring to her opening up about her sexuality to Mia and Phoebe two years ago.

“Yeah.” Mia shrugged pacifying Stacia. “You’re right.” She said shyly. “Maybe I will live a little.”

“Oh who’re we kidding, we both know you’re just blowing smoke up my ass.”

The two friends cracked up.

“Stacia.” Mia whined wiping the tears from her eyes.

“By the way cute outfit,” Stacia pointed out admiring Mia’s stylish get up that consisted of coffee colored carpenter pants, crisp white button down blouse and matching suspenders. A brown bonnet topped off her look.

“Thanks sis.” Mia smiled.

“Girl, I just came over here to bug you for a minute. I see as usual you’re slaving over some article.”

“Yeah.” Mia nodded to her lappy, eyes volleying between Stacia, and the words she was trying to formulate for the Toxic Bachelor piece.

“So what are you and the infamous Phoebe working on?” Stacia’s cheeks flushed a shade of crimson at the mention of Phoebe whom she couldn’t deny she had a crush on. Her feelings were hurt, the moment she learned Phoebe wasn’t a lesbian.

“Well,” Mia lowered her voice leaning in closer to Stacia, “If I tell you, I’ll have to kill you.”

“Girl, you’re a nut.”

They erupted into a fit of giggles.

“Hey honey bun.” A cute brunette with an Ellen Degeneres haircut, donned in Dockers, a polo and Chuck Taylors rolled up on them.

“Hey bae,” Stacia cooed lovingly pecking Docker chick. Mia couldn’t help but be enthralled by the drastic contrast of their skin tones as she watched Stacia’s deep milk chocolate skin intertwine with Jane’s pale alabaster one. “Bae stop,” Stacia emitted a girlish giggle as she wiped her lipstick from Jane’s lips.

“Mia,” Stacia faced her friend, “I want you to meet Jane, Jane this is my homey Mia.”

“Hi Jane.” Mia stood extending a hand.

“What’s up?” Jane smiled revealing a perfect set of straight white teeth, and noticeable gap, as she gripped Mia’s hand.

“Bae, Mia just tried Hazelnut’s kiss.”

“That’s nice, baby.” Jane replied licking her lips, totally ignoring Mia. Jane was throwing Stacia looks that said, “girl you’re the last latte up in this lounge and I’ll be damn if anyone but me is going to indulge in a sip.”

“Well listen,” Stacia said, interlocking her fingers with Jane’s, “sis I’ll talk to you later, and remember I want to know everything about this classified article you’re working on.”

“‘K. Bye you two.” Mia waved as she watched the lovebirds disappear to the other side of the lounge.

Eyes lowering to her laptop, Mia regained her focus and began typing once again.

Arrogant. Cocky. Self-righteous. Annoying, but undeniably sexy. Oh yeah, I’m sure you’ve all had your fair share of him ladies. He’s the man you’d love to hate, but for some sickening reason, you can’t seem too. You’re drawn to him like a moth to a flame. There’s something intriguing about his commanding presence and you can’t get enough of him.

Dashing good looks, charismatic smile, and mysterious eyes, you can’t seem to stop staring into because your head and your body betraying you is telling you he could potentially be the stuff juicy fairy-tales and happily ever after’s are made of except there’s one thing; he’s no prince charming and you ain’t Cinderella.

He’s a toxic bachelor. You know he’s no good for you, and you should probably get the heck out of dodge before he makes a move on your heart, and you get attached. His goal is to strip away the wall you may have encased around yourself due to prior mishaps in previous relationships. He wants to have you at the point where you’re raw and no longer have the upper hand in the situation. It may have started off that he was the one doing the chasing, but if you fall into his game too soon, you’re going to find yourself doing all the calling, texting, and chasing while he sits back not answering or making up some lame excuse as to why he couldn’t hit you back. Toxic bachelors like to promise things in the heat of the moment they know they have no intention of committing too and leaving you heartbroken to pick up the pieces.

2 comments:

Sidne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sidne said...

I enjoyed this interview. thanks for the excerpt from GWave Writing. a toxic bachelor. hmm, i think a friend just sprayed her house of one.