Monday, June 15, 2009

Every Day She's Hustling: Author Ni'cola

The Author





Striving to establish a new flair to the term contemporary fiction, Ni’cola entered the literary scene with her debut self published novel, OVER AND OVER AGAIN. Establishing NCM Publishing, Ni’cola creates themes in her work revolving around situations that are a compulsive desire to see women overcome challenges. Her next novel THE APPETIZER will be released in 2010.

Ni'cola Mitchell is originally from Kingston, Jamaica; currently she resides in North Las Vegas with her two daughters, Destani and Diamond. She holds a B.S. in business management and is currently pursuing an MBA in health care management. When Ni'cola isn't writing, she loves to spend time with her family and volunteer as a mentor for youth activities.

You can learn more about Ni'cola through her website, MySpace, Twitter, and her Ning group!





The Book





At first glance, 27-year-old Dionni Stone, owner of Whatever You Like Entertainment seems to have what all black women desire: natural beauty, a successful business, and a beautiful black man on her side. Until…

Dionni has found the love of her life – once again – in a compromising situation. For Dionni, this is the final heart break. With the love and support of her family and friends, she concentrates on her business, and it’s there she meets new client, Xavier “Zay” Grey, an investment banker that hires her to plan a surprise graduation party for his baby sister. Timidly, Dionni begins to think she might have found “the one” for her, but a devastating secret finds her world once again shaken. It also finds her back in the arms of an unlikely man, and even more pain than even she could imagine.

Over and Over Again is a funny and sensual tale that weaves between lies and love, deceit and truth, teaching Dionni the ultimate meaning of what is honesty, passion, and friendship.




Click cover to order OVER AND OVER AGAIN!





The Interview


Fill in the blank: "To read OVER AND OVER AGAIN is like riding the rollercoaster of life featuring the ups and downs of today’s urban relations. By the end of the book one will have a reality check with their own life situations."


What are THREE adjectives that best describe OVER AND OVER AGAIN?
Emotional, suspenseful, hilarious


What are THREE adjectives that best describe YOU?
Intelligent, beautiful, hard worker


As writer, what's one thing you loved the most about OVER AND OVER AGAIN?
The thing that I love the most is that I produced this myself. When I got my proof copy in the mail, I held it like it was a newborn baby. I still can’t believe that I did this all by myself. That feeling is what I love most about Over and Over Again.


How did the idea for OVER AND OVER AGAIN come about?
The idea for Over and Over Again came from sections of journals that I kept going for several years. I would take events from my life, family and friends and just jot them down.

A girlfriend of mine was reading through them and joked that I should put the entries into book form. I created the characters from people that I know or have met in my life. Some of my characters are a combination of attitudes and mannerisms of several people that I know evolved into one.

I took some real life experiences and let my imagination run wild.


NI'COLA: THE SOUNDTRACK. What are three tracks that would HAVE to make it onto the soundtrack of your life and why?
The first song would be Beauty by Dru Hill. I believe Beauty comes from the inside. I will do anything for anyone. I go the extra mile at all times. One thing that I am complimented on is how well I treat others. I believe those attributes is what makes a person beautiful.

The second would be No More Rain (In this cloud) by Angie Stone. Just like anyone else in life, I have been through a plethora of trials and tribulations. I had to decide that I was going to be stop letting life harbor me, and press forward. So I consider the cloud me and my life, and I had to learn to stop crying and start living up to the potential that I know that I have. I’m only half way there though. The storm tends to come, but I do not allow for the rain to develop.

The last song would be Queen of the Pack by Patra. Being from Jamaica, I know all about struggle. But I had to let people know that I am not accepting anything. The song compares life to a pack of cards. It basically states that I am telling you what I am about, and I am not going back on my word. What ever life brings, I will come out on top, and be the Queen of the pack. I make my own destiny, so you better watch out.


You're strutting down the street - not a care in the world, looking like a million bucks; what is your theme song and why?
My theme song would be Everyday I’m hustling by Rick Ross. The title speaks for itself.


Are you a plotter or a pantser?
I am a pantser. When I think about something, I follow through and complete it.


What are you doing to promote and market OVER AND OVER AGAIN?
I have several different campaigns running right now to promote Over and Over Again. I am doing interviews, I am on a multi city author tour, I have an online publicity campaign, Print/Mail campaign, e-blasting, and web marketing.


You are indie publishing OVER AND OVER AGAIN through your company NCM Publishing; did you attempt to publish through traditional publishing routes? If so, how was that journey?
Yes, I did attempt to publish through the traditional, but I am very impatient. By the time I began receiving feedback from a traditional publisher, I was already half way through with self-publishing.

I really have not had any major issues with self publishing. In fact, I believe that this was the best route for me. I prayed about it and jumped in head first. I know this is what I am supposed to be doing because everything has gone smoothly from day one.


What are three pieces of advice you would give to writers thinking about going into indie publishing?
To be patient, work hard, and make sure that your product can hold its own with books in your sector being produced by a traditional publisher.


Word Association. What comes to mind when you see the following words:
Over and Over Again: Rollercoaster
Writing: Stress Reliever
Dionni Stone: Strong
Relationships: Indescribable
Ni'Cola: Grinder


What projects are you currently working on?
Currently, I am working on my second novel The Appetizer, (When you are not his main course.) and my third novel Twisted which is the continuation of Over and Over Again.

3 comments:

AAMBC Virtual Book Tours said...

First of all I must say that I am a fan of Ni'cola, I worked side by side with her and plan to travel togeter making a HUGE impact on the literary industry. She really is down to earth and I must say I am ready for the second book too. HOTT!!!

Tamika Newhouse

author corey jaye said...

I am very impressed with Nicola, who looks to be a force to be reckoned with in the literary scene for years to come. Her confidence, classiness and intense desire to succeed will no doubt have her in the game for a long time to come.

Corey Barnes
Author of What is This Love Thing All About?

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed all the details in this interview, I am so proud of you and I speak for all of us when I say that its been tough,but you always keep your head p,and thats the inspiration that a lot of us and our upcoming generation needs. Just be sure to stay strong for those of us who get weak sometimes,keep living for those of us who don't know how, and keep striving for those of us who give up so we have someone to look up to. I love you and keep up the good work.:)