Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Beware of Getting Your Groove Back

Wow...to say I'm stunned is an understatement. To say that I feel a bit of embarrassment (and it's not even my drama) is, too. One of my literary sheroes, the chick who put the 'sister' in 'sistergirl' books--Terry McMillan is getting a divorce from her younger husband of almost 7 or so years. Turns out--he's gay.

Now, we all know about the DL (down low) and all that jazz, but this was a relationship that Terry 150% believed in, gushed about, wrote about in HOW STELLA GOT HER GROOVE BACK and then in the movie. Though she does live a fairly quiet life (she's admitted to being the mom that takes her son to soccer games and actually STAYS and watches him play), this relationship was a BIG thing then and even now because Terry will always be known as the author who wrote WAITING TO EXHALE and the author who penned a loose 'autobiography' in STELLA.

If I could, I would give a big hug to Terry for this drama. Not pointing fingers. Not saying anyone is a victim over the other (except for the kid--he can't help the situation he was brought into). Drama is Drama no matter how you slice it, and who wants THAT?

As soon as I read about the divorce and then heard specifics this morning on the radio, I thought, "I wish there was a way to know...to really know if the person we're swooning for, thinking love was meant just for us for IS the one, true person for us."

But then, I remember that life is a game and if we knew the outcome of the game before we even began...now, well, how fun would that be?

Keep your head up, Terry. This, too, shall pass.

No comments: